This April is like none other and not in a good way. The world is in turmoil over the global pandemic, people are locked in their homes for weeks on end… soon will be months, and the crypto market is finding it hard to get back on its feet after the panic sale that slashed prices of all cryptocurrencies by half in a single day on that memorable March 13. Ah, the number 13… don’t we just love it.
Anyway, for those who want to stay “in the know” or just looking for crypto-related pastime there are a number of things I can recommend so I will be doing this over the next few days in a series of posts.
Today I bring to you the 5 virtual events that you can attend during this unprecedented compulsory lockdown we have found ourselves in.
These are blockchain events that usually you would have paid hundreds of dollars to go to but if we stick to the positive side of things, you are now getting a piece of the action for free. Take notes (or bookmark these links) and make sure you mark them in your crypto calendar so you don’t miss them.
Starting with DeFi Discussions (1-4 May 2020)
This is a 4 day Virtual Summit organised by Dystopia Labs which will cover a wide range of topics from the more obvious, like decentralisation and economical value of cryptocurrencies, to security and risk management, mining and coding, token creation and much more.
There’s a little bit of everything and will definitely provide a great source of information for everyone – beginners and proficient cryptonians alike. It is taking place in the online domain and it’s free for everyone. It begins on Friday 1st May and will end on Monday 4th May. You can register your attendance at this link: https://defi-discussions.dystopialabs.com/
Consensus 2020 (11-13 May 2020)
Consensus is a premier cryptocurrency and blockchain industry global event. Since its inception in 2015, more than 15,000 attendees have participated in paving the way forward for the future of finance and commerce.
It was due to take place in New York, but will now be a completely virtual experience. Attendees from all over the world will be able to participate online at no charge.
The announcement reads:
“With premier speakers discussing the most important topics of our time, all coordinated by CoinDesk’s experienced journalists and moderators in a rolling live TV-like experience.”
Reasons to attend
- It’s Free – and you can participate from the convenience and safety of your home!
- Amazing Speakers – five days of content with leading speakers from around the world.
- Live, Interactive Keynotes – including Q&A’s & presentations from key influencers in crypto, blockchain, government, academia and entertainment.
- Unparalleled Networking – connect with other attendees, speakers and sponsors with 1:1 video or chat.
- Hands on Workshops – valuable technical instruction within our new Unlocked track.
- Foundation Updates – hear from 10+ protocols in our new Foundations track.
Bitcoin Halving Livestream (11. May 2020)
This is a much smaller boutique initiative by the founders of Bitcoin magazine.
It will feature a 21 hours live coverage of the halving event which in itself is not exactly a show in its own right, hence why the organizers are taking up submissions from content creators from around the world and will offer a variety of topics for live discussions.
Tune in for a 21-hour live stream starting 18 hours prior to the Halving and concluding three hours after it takes place. There will be live monitoring of Bitcoin’s block height to determine the exact moment of the Halving, currently estimated for 11-May 2020.
You can expect updates on the specific live stream date and time to be posted here, and on Bitcoin Magazine’s website.
The announcement reads:
Bitcoin Magazine presents non-stop coverage of Bitcoin’s third Halving with hours of commentary and analysis from Bitcoin 2020 speakers and some of our closest friends. Ring in the new cycle the right way: with us!
Reasons to attend
- It’s Free – and you can get a sense of belonging to the Bitcoin community.
- To fill-in the void – and maybe learn a thing or two in the process.
- It’s a celebration of sorts – the last 2 halvings have sent Bitcoin to new ATH in the months that followed them and that’s kinda amazing really. If this time we start seeing a bull run again, you would be happy to say you witnessed the event that propelled your favourite crypto toward the next moon landing.
Remote Crypto Con (24-26 June)
This one was always remote so should be well positioned to run without the usual hitches. Taking place over three days, speakers include Mike Dudas, CEO of The Block Crypto, Kevin Owoki, CEO of Gitcoin, and Brad Michaelson, Head of Marketing at eToro US, among others. The live content itself is free, but paid attendees will also be able to participate in 1:1 roulette – a fun way to meet people from around the world who are interested in cryptocurrency without leaving the safety of your home.
There are a number of really cool keynote speeches on offer, my personal highlights include:
Reasons to attend
- All of the above – need I say more? There’s every reason to attend, most of all – getting all these speeches and valuable insight for free.
Just open the link to their website (click on the event name above and it will take you there) and register now.
Mainnet (June 8-10)
Organised by Messari – a New York- based digital service that offers an all-round crypto platform with great tools for research, a newsletter and a podcast with credible contributors and authors and curated news and analysis.
This is their flagship summit called ‘The Mainnet’ and it has been moved online.
The event promises more than 100 of the top crypto pioneers, who will lead discussion on how to advance the development of our decentralised future.
Other posts you might like: